by Sarah Johnson
The biggest risk of an unbalanced work and home life is burnout!
If you’ve experienced this or are currently struggling to be excited about your job, you are not alone! About 3/4 of all teachers report that they find work stressful. That means, between the 4 teachers you may share a pod with, 3 of you are likely burnt out!
There are seemingly endless to-do lists and let’s be honest, there will never be enough hours in the day to accomplish everything you’d like at a level in which I know educators expect of themselves. Most every teacher I’ve worked with seems to fit the “Type A” personality. According to WebMD, If you are a Type A personality, you are likely to be characterized as:
- Being a hard worker
- Having the determination to succeed
- Being very quick to make decisions
- Likely to multitask
I’m sure you are nodding “yes”, to that checklist of traits! Of course, all of these characteristics are very admirable, but they may also be adding a lot of stress to your life!
The “Pareto Principle” states that 80% of our results come from 20% of our efforts. When we can figure out what exactly that 20% is, we can focus our efforts and eliminate much of the other 80% that doesn’t produce results.
First, realize that you cannot do everything-no one can! Start being more strategic about where to focus your time and energy. Then in the words of our Disney friend Elsa, “Let it go”! That’s right, I’m suggesting that you make a change! Just start with one thing that you can let go of! It’s all part of the work smarter, not harder mentality. Small changes can make a huge difference!
In our endless efforts to find success all day at work, we tend to be exhausted by the time we get home. Unfortunately, those closest to us may not be getting our best. Prioritizing your time and focusing on what matters most will give you the freedom to have time for the things that you want! You spend so much time taking care of others, don’t neglect yourself. You cannot pour from an empty cup. Finding a balance is crucial, otherwise, that burnout is inevitable! The Resilient Educator website has a great infographic (see below) with 5 Tips for Restoring Work-Life Balance! Review these tips and find one thing that can personally work for you, and make that change today!
Once you’ve mastered adding (or subtracting) that one thing, find another-and get closer to that work and home balance that you, your family and friends deserve! Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and share your experience. I will select one person to send a $10 Starbucks gift card!