by Amanda Bursach
- Use a common, clean font!
Times New Roman or Arial are always great options.
- Spell check/and fix mistakes
Proof-read all writing before saving your document to avoid grammatical or spelling errors.
- Add LinkedIn profile
Have a LinkedIn profile? Attach the link!
- Update your skills section, include any new skills you have developed recently.
Before applying for a new job, update your resume with the skills you developed from your most recent employment.
- Read it out loud
Read your resume out loud to a friend or family member to check for fluency and coherence.
- Emphasize results rather than responsibilities
What were you successful at? Focus on the result and your successes rather than what your
- Relate your accomplishments specifically to the job you are applying to
How do your skills from your previous experiences relate to the position you are applying for?
- Use power words
Examples of power words are: Attained, Accomplished, Overcame, Outperformed.